About Multi-Sphere particles

Hello everyone,

I’m trying to simulate a fluidized bed gasifier and the difference in size between my biomass pellets and my sand particles can only be solved by using multi-sphere particles. I have read some papers about it but I haven’t found any kind of guide to “how to create these particles and import them to MFix”.

Is anyone working with this kind of particles and if so, care to share how to do it?.

Thank you all. Best regards
Nicolas.

You mean sand initially packing in the bed and biomass particles are injected into the bed from a side port?

You can define two solid phases (size and density can be different), one solid phase for the sand and one solid phase for the biomass.

You can define initial conditions to pack sands or/and biomass particles in the bed. You can also use particle_input.dat file to import sands and biomass.

Hello, thank you for your response.

I’m starting the simulation with both kind of “particles” in the bed already. I don’t mind about that.
My biomass pellet is 2.7 cm long while my sand particle has an average diameter of 518 microns. Originally I was using CFD-PIC where the cell has to be several times larger than the particle and I was using cells of about 1 cc. My issue with this is that my biomass is almost triple than this on length.

I decided to start using CFD-DEM since I read a couple papers on people using a multi-sphere method to “fabricate” larger particles while being able to keep the cell small and being able to solve the contact between particles.

What I need is a tutorial on how to create this “multiple-sphere-particles” if it is the case that someone is doing something like that around here.

Thank you.
Nicolas.

2 Likes