Can not open mfix after crash and problem of uniting three primitives

Hi, Developers

The attached error report file and screenshot were saved when i opened the software mfix-19.3.1. Below i will tell you all operations i made.

I activated mfix-19.3.0 at first, however, it can not be opened and the same problem was reported. I guess if it is because i upgraded my windows system and restored it again due some problem met after upgrade. So, I tried to install mfix-19.3.0 again and i found there are new packages needed to be downloaded. Because the download speed is too slow, i tried to installed the new version 19.3.1, and it successed. After installation, i started to draw geometry used in my simulation. To finish it, there are three primitives needed to be united. However, it failed to do this, and unfortunately, it crashed. Once i opened mfix-19.3.1 again, the error report popped up again. When i closed the error report window, mfix window closed, too

To sum above, there are four problems i want to ask you for help,

1. how to solve this reported error? Besides, screenshot and error report file, detail information showed in the Anaconda prompt are posted below
  2. it seems some packages of components of mfix-19.3.0 are updated, is it right?
  3. is it necessary to uninstall the old version? and how to uninstall it?
  4. when i used " union " button to unite three primitives, it failed. what can i do to make it? The source file is also uploaded, but i am not sure these setting have been saved, because i can not open mfix-19.3.1.

(mfix-19.3.1) C:\Users\work>mfix
mfix - ERROR - HTTPSConnectionPool(host=‘mfix.netl.doe.gov’, port=443): Read timed out. (read timeout=1.0)
File “D:\anaconda\envs\mfix-19.3.1\Scripts\mfix-script.py”, line 9, in
sys.exit(main())
File “…\gui.py”, line 2991, in main
main_args(sys.argv[1:])
File “…\gui.py”, line 3136, in main_args
check_if_update_available(gui, version)
File “…\version.py”, line 64, in check_if_update_available
json_versions = get_json_versions_from_website()
File “…\version.py”, line 87, in get_json_versions_from_website
req = requests.get(JSON_URL, timeout=1.0)
File “D:\anaconda\envs\mfix-19.3.1\lib\site-packages\requests\api.py”, line 75, in get
return request(‘get’, url, params=params, **kwargs)
File “D:\anaconda\envs\mfix-19.3.1\lib\site-packages\requests\api.py”, line 60, in request
return session.request(method=method, url=url, **kwargs)
File “D:\anaconda\envs\mfix-19.3.1\lib\site-packages\requests\sessions.py”, line 533, in request
resp = self.send(prep, **send_kwargs)
File “D:\anaconda\envs\mfix-19.3.1\lib\site-packages\requests\sessions.py”, line 668, in send
history = [resp for resp in gen] if allow_redirects else []
File “D:\anaconda\envs\mfix-19.3.1\lib\site-packages\requests\sessions.py”, line 668, in
history = [resp for resp in gen] if allow_redirects else []
File “D:\anaconda\envs\mfix-19.3.1\lib\site-packages\requests\sessions.py”, line 247, in resolve_redirects
**adapter_kwargs
File “D:\anaconda\envs\mfix-19.3.1\lib\site-packages\requests\sessions.py”, line 646, in send
r = adapter.send(request, **kwargs)
File “D:\anaconda\envs\mfix-19.3.1\lib\site-packages\requests\adapters.py”, line 529, in send
raise ReadTimeout(e, request=request)

mfix_2020-02-16T183723.818038.zip (6.3 KB)

pressure_relief.mfx (6.3 KB)

Best regards.
wuming

I have solved the problem of opening mfix after crash by opening another version. There is no problem running another case, and then the version 19.3.1 can also be launched successfully.
Is there another better way to solve it? Please share your idea.

@mark.meredith looks like we need more robust error handling on the version check.

Agreed, added an issue. Will catch that exception in the next release.