Can we set constant heat flux for Wall BC in MFIX-DEM?

Hi,

When I set a heat flux value to a wall of 3D fluidized bed, the program stopped running and showed the following error message. Does this mean MFIX-DEM is not allowing us to set constant heat flux boundary condition? Thank you very much.

Error 1100: The energy equation boundary condition 5 is ill
defined for solids 1. Walls can be adiabatic or have a
specified temperature for DEM. Please correct the project settings.

As always, it’s helpful to attach your project files when seeking help.

You can set constant flux boundary conditions here:

Constant flux in the MFiX documentation:
8.3.10. Boundary Conditions — MFiX 22.1 documentation

Thank you, @cgw! I was trying to paste my project files here. But the software and related project files were crashed after applying constant heat flux BCs. The error message is as follows.

ERROR from check_data\check_bc_walls.f:551
Error 1100: The energy equation boundary condition 4 is ill
defined for solids 1. Walls can be adiabatic or have a specified temperature for DEM. Please correct the project settings.

Does this mean we cannot set constant heat flux BC in DEM? Have you tried to establish solid conduction problem in DEM? Thank you.

Please go to the main menu, click “Submit bug report”, and post the resulting ZIP file. Thanks.

Hi Charles,

I ran into the same issue, and here is my ZIP file.
copper_2022-05-11T114042.468888.zip (202.8 KB)

Thanks,
Jason Schirck

This seems a pretty common issue. I also ran into this. Everything works with constant wall temperature but switching to constant flux BC, runs into the same problem. Any help? thanks

@umerm I asked this question earlier and I got a response from the developers that the constant flux BC is not available for DEM simulations. Hope that helps.

2 Likes

That’s correct, constant flux is incompatible with DEM. The GUI should not have allowed this setting. This will be corrected in the 22.3 release. Thanks to everyone who reported this issue.