DEM-Fluidized bed simulation not running

Dear experts!
I am trying to reproduce the research paper http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.ijheatmasstransfer.2017.04.040. I set all the parameters accordingly.
At first I calculated the minimum fluidization velocity which is according to paper. I set all the parameters according to paper.

But my simulation didnot run. My case attached in zip file.
Your kind insight required to resolve the issue.

selfbd.zip (17.2 MB)

Please define your boundary walls and understand the geometry better to accurately model the fluidization behavior.

I have attached a few screenshots from my simulation case. Will be happy to help if you cannot figure it out.

Best,
Ashreet Mishra.

1 Like

Dear Mishra!
I tried a lot and set BC according to the paper but my simulation did not run. There is some error that I can’t figure out so far.
Your guidance will be highly appreciated in this regard.
I am looking forward to learning.

2nd.mfx (14.7 KB)

Dear,
Hope you are fine! I need your guidance in the above problem.
Will be very thankful for your kind support.

Hello @majidkhalil,

I apologize for the delay. I will send you my source files according to the paper in a couple days which you can use to learn how to build both the thermal and flow models.

Regards,
Ashreet Mishra.

1 Like

test.zip (27.3 MB)
Attached is the working file, please try to relate that to the paper and let me know if you have any questions.

Regards,
Ashreet Mishra.

1 Like

Daer @ashreet
First of all bundle of thanks for your kind support.
When I start the sim, it prompts the error dt<dt_min, after that I, modify the time step, then it works smoothly, Still result comparison remaining.
I have a few queries regarding the parameters,

1. Bed height is declared as from ymin to ymax/2, but in paper bed height is not mentioned, how do we select it?
  2. How do we compute different heat transfer mechanisms via MFiX-GUI? such mention in the paper

Thanks.

Hello @majidkhalil,

Yes the time step is something you need to use from the reference paper. I used a higher time step to debug the code and test it.

1. It is one of the assumptions I have made since bed height is not provided either in that ref or Patil et al. I mean you can parametrically study how much the results change but using those settings I was able to get good validation.

2. You can refer this thread (The User Variables output run with DMP - #3 by ChenYuan1), that is something I am not very familiar with. You can let me know if you can figure it out :slight_smile:

Best,
Ashreet Mishra.

1 Like

Hello @ashreet
Hope you are doing well.

Now I move further, used the same geometry and sim paratmers, proceed with non spherical particles with an aspect ratio 5/4.
I test the sim without checking the energy equation. And I have the error

In this regard, your kind attention will be very helpful to me.

My project zip is attached for your reference.
1000p.zip (27.8 MB)

Hello @majidkhalil I am not experienced with SQP-DEM. Maybe someone else can help you out with that.

Regards,
Ashreet Mishra.

1 Like