Error parse_mod.f:236

Hello guys,

I was trying to run the methane combustion tutorial (4.13.3.1 in the manual). See mfx file attached below. But got an error saying ERROR parse_mod.f:236. Does anyone know what it’s saying? I checked parse.f and line 236 just calls log error. Not sure what went wrong here.

Thanks,
Jack methane.mfx (13.9 KB)

Hi Jack.

I ran your methane.mfx here and I see the same error.
If you look at the messages in the MFiX console, there’s more detail. The full text of the error message is:

ERROR parse_mod.f:236

Fatal error reported on one or more processes. The .LOG file
 may contain additional information about the failure.
 Message: Heat of reaction is proportioned to a phase not referenced
 by the chemical equation for reaction REACTION_1.
 If this is a catalytic reaction, reference one of the species of the
 catalyst phase within the chemical equation with a stoichiometric
 coefficient of zero.
 Please refer to the Readme file for chemical equation input formats
 and correct the data file.

The error popup should be including this text, but it doesn’t:

This is admittedly not very helpful. I have opened a bug report to improve the error-message popup.

As to why this error is happening in the first place, I’m not sure, but perhaps the more complete error message above will help you.

Where did this methane.mfx file come from?

Hope this helps,

• Charles

I see. Thanks Charles! I wrote the methane.mfx myself using the GUI based on manual 4.13.3.3.

I saw my chemical reaction in my mfx files is

@(RXNS)
combustion {
chem_eq = “2O2 + CH4__ANHARMONIC → CO2 + 2H2O”
dh = 880.0
fracdh(0) = 1.0
}
@(END)

I don’t see my heat of reaction relating to anything undefined? dh=880 specifies the heat released in the methane combustion equation, and fracdh(0)=1 means that all heat goes to the gas phase. Did I misunderstand something?

Thanks,
Jack

That sounds right to me, Jack. Maybe a bug? I’ll get back to you as soon as I have an answer!

1 Like