Flow of particles into box

Hello,

I am working on a model of a sandpile to replicate an experimental set up. I initially created a model where there was mass inflow into a 3D box, and then a pile built up within the box.

I now want to add a way of controlling the input to the box, so I have tried to add a hopper into the geometry, so the outflow of particles from the hopper will land into the box and generate the sand pile over time.

I have created the geometry I want in mfix, but do I have to link the two parts in some way in order to get this to work or would I have to create a more complex geometry of object to start with?

test.mfx (20.7 KB)

1 Like

Hello, I have also become interested in modeling a sandpile.

I downloaded your file test.mfx, but I’m not able to make it run. After building the solver and running the program, I get the error:
“FATAL Error: There are no standard fluid cells in the computation. Please verify geometry and mesh settings.
If using an STL file to define the geometry, this may be due to normal vectors pointing in the wrong direction.”

Were you able to resolve your issue, and if so can you share your simulation setup or how you fixed this error? Or, are you able to share your simpler version that does not include the hopper?