How can I get tutorials about gasification

Hello, everyone. I’m a beginner. Where can I find videos or PPT or project files about gasification?

In MFiX, there are several tutorials, that may close to your project.

19.3.0/tutorials/ tfm/silane_pyrolysis_2d
19.3.0/tutorals/pic/silane_pyrolysis_3d
19.3.0/legacy_tutorials/SpoutedBedCombustor

Thank you! Actually I have known these tutorials. I think there are some differents among gasification, pyrolysis and combustion but I don’t know what they are. So I want to get tutorials about gasification directly… All in all, thank you very much!

I forgot to mention the gasification tutorial also available in MFiX.

See. 19.3.0/legacy_tutorials/Variable_density

Ref. Xue Q ., Fox R. O. Multi - fluid CFD modeling of biomass gasification in polydisperse fluidized - bed gasifiers. Powder Technology, Vol. 254, pp.187-198, 2014 .

1 Like

Thank you very much!

Hello. I have read the file, but I don’t know how this case achieves variable density through code.image
usr_rates.f dosen’t mention the variable density. I open Mfix.dat with GUI but can’t find settings about density. Where is it?
And I wonder that where can I modify the governing equation?
I will be very grateful if you reply to me.

In the variable density model, it is assumed that the solid (biomass) density will change with time due to chemical reaction. As you see in mfix.dat file, the biomass consists four species, you need to set the initial mass fraction and density (note it is CGS unit, in this case) of each species, also you need to identity an inner species (ash, in this case) that will not react, which is used to calculate the new solid density after biomass gasification of each time step. In the usr_rates, chemical reaction rates are needed to input.

1 Like

Thank you!
I want to do a little case to calculate, but I’m very confused. First I should write a fortran source about chemical reaction and rates. Then generating the MFX file. Is this order correct?

You need a mfix.dat file and a usr_rates.f at the same time. I suggest to run this tutorial case and compare the simulation results with the reference. Then modify these two files based on your own project.

2 Likes

Thank you so much for your help. Can you leave your email if it is convenient?

email: xi.gao@netl.doe.gov

1 Like

Hi Gaoxi,

Could you tell me how to find the 19.3.0/legacy_tutorials/SpoutedBedCombustor? Thank you!

In the New panel, there are 2d and 3d silane pyrolysis but I cannot find the legacy_tutorials/SpoutedBedCombustor.

Please go to the MFIX website, download the MFIX source tarball. All tutorials can be found in it.

Hello gaoxi,
Can You tell me the content in the picture in which text?
Thank you very much!

The website has been re-organized. You can download the MFIX source from the download page: Register - NETL Multiphase Flow Science