How to add non-spherical particles

Hello,everyone!
Do you know how to add non-spherical particles to MFIX?
Thank you!

The current release of MFiX does not handle non-spherical particles. There will be a beta release soon of some new code that handles superquadric particles for DEM only. We will announce it here when it’s available, stay tuned!

Thank you for your help!@cgw

Hi @cgw,

May I ask if the beta version of MFiX with the capability to include non-spherical particles, using superquadrics, has been released at this time? I couldn’t find a post about it on this user forum, so I assume it is not yet available publicly. I am a faculty at the University of Houston, and I would be interested in testing the code and reporting about its capabilities (for my research area, which is focused on geophysical granular flows), as well as about its comparison to laboratory experiments, if there would be any possibilities.

Please let me know if we can access the beta release of the code, or if there is any other testing and evaluation version of the code that we could have access to.

Thanks.

Best wishes,
Behrooz Ferdowsi

We plan to release the superquadric DEM model in the 22.4 release, due by the end of Dec 2022. Thanks for your interest.

1 Like

Thanks very much for the update, @cgw . May I ask if there is any published (or citable) articles which describe the choices of contact laws available – for the interaction of superquadrics grains – in 22.4 release? Thanks.

Hi, @cgw. May I ask if this superquadric DEM model in the 22.4 release can be used in a gas-solid reactive system where both non-spherical particles and chemical reactions are involved? Thanks.

@behroozf Development and validation of SuperDEM for non-spherical particulate systems using a superquadric particle method (Journal Article) | DOE PAGES
@Guoqinglian I believe that will work, but you will have to try it!

1 Like

Hi @cgw, thank you very much for the reference for superquadrics grain-grain interactions.

That’s great! Thank you! @cgw