Hybrid simulation: There are no TFM particles

Hi

I try to simulate a simple TFM-DEM hybrid model, But the TFM particles do not exist.
I have defined 3 types of particles, DEM by particle_input.dat and TFM particles by the initial condition. But I can’t see the TFM bed in VTK.

This problem even exists in the MFIX software legacy tests.
My simulation files are here: HH.zip (4.3 KB)

Thanks

The TFM (Two Fluid Model) is not a Lagrangian technique. There are no discrete particles!

You visualize the bed with ep_g (void fraction).

BTW, the hybrid model is not officially supported by the GUI and you may encounter issues.

Seems like there may be an issue. I opened your project and can confirm that there is no TFM bed. If I delete the DEM solid, then I get the TFM bed.

Thanks for your response.
As you said, I use EP_G but nothing is visible. Do you have a simple Hybrid project in which the TFM bed can be seen correctly?
Because this problem can be seen even in the hybrid legacy tests presented in MFIX 19.3.1 source tarball.
I think this problem is due to the inactivity of particle generation in the DEM tab because in hybrid projects we have to use particle_input for DEM particles. When this option is disabled, the software uses the particle_input file and it no longer uses the initial conditions.

It doesn’t look like the TFM IC is getting set correctly, hence EP_G being set to 1 in the “bed” region.

There are various articles that have used this method, and I also read several topics in the forum that did not encounter this problem(such as this topic Errors of Hybrid model with Cut-Cell ). Could this be a bug in the software version? Or am I doing something wrong in the simulation?

The issue was resolved.
To use the hybrid method, it is necessary to use the Garg 2012 interpolation method.

1 Like

Does anyone know why MFIX hybrid only works with GARG 2012 interpolation?
I need to use Mean_Field_Diffusion but it is not possible with GARG 2012.

Hello @arsalanjalali , I am trying to build a hybrid TFM DEM model as well, and a rough sketch of my concept looks like the image ive attached. Can you help me build it or help me with a similiar project file that you’ve worked on, as I am new to MFiX and I am on a very short deadline to understand and build a Hybrid TFM-DEM Model