Hybrid TFM-DEM solid-particle drag force question

Hi all,
From the literature review, there is some study on segregation behavior in fluidized bed based on the hybrid TFM-DEM model. I am currently trying to apply the hybrid model to investigate the segregation in a rotating drum. Fig. 1 shows similar work from literature which used DEM. In my work, I set the smaller particles as a continuum solid phase and the bigger particles as a discrete phase. However, for my test case, the solid phase can not stop particle to drop down to the wall, since the drag force between these two phases is quite small as shown in Fig. 2.
Is it possible to use the MFIX-Hybrid model for my work? If it is possible, what should I do to modify the model then to reproduce the segregation phenomenon? Any suggestions would be very appreciated.

Fig. 1
Fig. 2
mfixdat.zip (2.3 KB)

Some suggestions:

1. Try how it will work by setting a much lower density of the DEM solid phase, I noted that you set the same density for the two solid phases.
  2. Try how it will wok when you increase the drag between the two solid phase (C_f)
  3. Increase cell number.

Thanks, Gaoxi. i’ll try. But, same density is considered because this case is for size segregation.

With the 19.3 (released today), there is a new tutorial for rotating drum with pure DEM (no gas flow). It might help to have a look there. Possibly, you can add another solid phase with the tutorial and see if it helps to simulate your case?!?

Thanks for your kind suggestion!

Hi
Can you advise how you used Cut-Cell and Hybrid at the same time?
I read your previous topic about errors while using Cut-Cell and Hybrid at the same time, but I did not find an answer.

Hello @wenjie , I am trying to build a hybrid TFM DEM model as well, and a rough sketch of my concept looks like the image ive attached. Can you help me build it or help me with a similiar project file that you’ve worked on, as I am new to MFiX and I am on a very short deadline to understand and build a Hybrid TFM-DEM Model