Interpolation for dem

I select Field-to-particle and particle-to-field for interpolation and None for its scheme. However, there is an error as following.

ERROR check_data\check_solids_common_discrete.f:474

Error 2001: No interpolation scheme specified when DES_INTERP_ONis enabled.

Can anyone tell me what can I do? Appreciate!

You need to select a scheme (Square DPVM or Garg 2012) or turn off interpolation.

Thank you for your reply. But I wonder can’t I select None for scheme?

I check the example of 2d pseudo spouted bed and it is also using Field-to-particle and particle-to-field for interpolation and None for the scheme.

The tutorial looks like an edge case where the GUI is not correctly processing the input deck so the settings do not accurately reflect the file.

If you open the pseudo 2D spouted bed case (as distributed) from the GUI, you will see

Interpolation Field-to-particle and particle-to-field
Scheme None

However, if you open the mfx file in a text editor, you only see

des_interp_scheme = 'NONE'

Now, if you toggle the interpolation drop down menu and select No interpolation, the GUI adds the following to the input deck:

des_interp_on = False
des_interp_mean_fields = False

These are the default values (set in model/des/des_init_namelist.f). If you ‘re-select’ Field-to-particle and particle-to-field (which makes the GUI options appear as it did originally), you now get the following change to the input deck

des_interp_on = True
des_interp_mean_fields = True

This is a bug and I will create a issue to have it fixed in a future release.

1 Like

Thank you! By the way, may I ask you how to decide the width of the Square DPVM?

there’s not an answer for this, at least not a good one. i tried do some testing on this awhile ago but it’s difficult to assess this in the absence of discretization error (or at least minimal discretization error w/ dx < 1) because the width is restricted to 2dx (as implemented). based on some very preliminary work using the gaussian diffusion kernel, I would recommend not exceeding an upper limit of about 5dp (if 5dp <= 2dx). lower limit could go down to zero and you just get back the PCM. I thought 0.93dp might make a good value so that (for concentration) particles become cubes of maximum random packing. But, honestly, I didn’t see any better behavior/agreement in any of my tests with 0.93dp, 1dp, 2dp… FWIW, I use a default value of 1.5dp and i have absolutely no justification for that over any other value.

2 Likes

Hello, wfullmer. When I select Square DPVM, there is an error as following:

ERROR check_data\check_solids_common_discrete.f:311

Error 2200: The DES implementation of the stiff chemistry solver only supports explicit coupling (DES_EXPLICITLY_COUPLED).

Does that mean I have to enable explicit coupling of interphase quantities? I try to simulate gasification in spouted bed. Will this option affect calculation result?