Liquid-solid-droplets Slurry transportation simulation

Hello all, I am interested in working on the slurry transportation simulation. In my case, I have to phase system with one carrier liquid, two solid particles, and droplets. Can we simulate CFD DEM simulation using MFix? Kindly help me with this. Thanks in advance.

1 Like

You can model the fluid + solid (although I would use an appropriate, custom drag model). How are you envisioning modeling the droplets? As a continuum or discrete? Do these droplets coalesce? MFIX does not have a VOF solver.

Thanks for your response. I want to consider droplets as a dispersed phase with a fixed size. For simplicity, we are ignoring the droplets coalesce.

If the droplets are very dilute, then can you treat your droplets as DEM/PIC particles? I don’t know what you are trying to model…

I want to model a slurry system that contains two solid particles (200 and 500 microns) and bitumen droplets with a size of 400 mincron. The total solid fraction is 0.3, and the bitumen fraction is 0.008. The carrier liquid is a non-Newtonian fluid. Currently, I am modeling using the E-E two-fluid model, but I want to try using CFD-DEM simulation. To minimize the complexity of the problem, I ignored droplet breakup and coalescence in the system. I hope it is clear to you.