Missing libxkbcommon when installing mfix-20.1.2 from pip

Hi,
I was installing MFix-20.1.2 with pip, everything went well until I successfully installed MFix and tried opening it, I was given the error as below:

QLibraryPrivate::loadPlugin failed on "~/miniconda3x86/lib/python3.7/site-packages/PyQt5/Qt/plugins/platforms/libqxcb.so" : "Cannot load library ~/miniconda3x86/lib/python3.7/site-packages/PyQt5/Qt/plugins/platforms/libqxcb.so: (libxkbcommon-x11.so.0: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory)"

qt.qpa.plugin: Could not load the Qt platform plugin "xcb" in "" even though it was found.

This application failed to start because no Qt platform plugin could be initialized. Reinstalling the application may fix this problem.

Available platform plugins are: eglfs, linuxfb, minimal, minimalegl, offscreen, vnc, wayland-egl, wayland, wayland-xcomposite-egl, wayland-xcomposite-glx, webgl, xcb.

Aborted

I checked from online and it should be caused by missing of library libxkbcommon, which was introduced by pyqt5-5.12. I could have downgraded package pyqt5 to 5.11-* to eliminate this problem, but MFix installation required pyqt5 <5.13.0,>=5.12.0.

Looks like the only thing left I can do is installing the library thru system package but that may ruin the public supercomputer where the computation will be launched.

So I’m wondering if you guys in development team can add this lib in the source tarball and update it?
Thanks.

1 Like

Sure, that’s reasonable. We can change the Pip depdendency to pyqt5 >=5.9.0 if that’s reasonable. That will be in the next release 20.2. Thanks for using MFiX!

Hi Mark,
That’s perfect, when is this new version expected to release? Looking forward to that!
Thanks.

Another week or so, likely before the end of June. Appreciate your patience!

Hi Mark, is there any news on the release of version 20.2 and the dependency problem?

We are currently testing release candidates. If all goes well, we hopefully will release soon.

Release is out now! Sorry my prediction was about a month late :slight_smile:

Hi Mark,
Thanks a lot, everything flows now.