PIC case reactor

hello all,

could you help me…
I have a case using PIC in stripper reactor that Partikel is catalyst inject to the reactor, 6 kg catalyst, range 50-70 micron. and I don’t know the amount of catalyst. could you please tell me how to make assumptions simulation using PIC in MFix, please,

best regards
Agus nuryadi

Actually, I didn’t know what did you mean when you say “amount”. Didn’t you say 6 kg? You can use total mass for the initial condition for bed.

Thanks for the reply @kececi.ahmet,

I mean the weight is 6 kg, but the number of particles (for example 100000 particles) not available. how to make assumptions in PIC simulation?

thanks

You know you have 6 kg, and I assume you must know the solids density. You also say you have a sense that the diameter is 50-70 micron. So, (mass (kg)/density(kg/m3)) / volume of particle(m3) should get you in the ballpark of how many particles you have. You can adjust this by a packing factor if you know it for your particle shape, 0.6 should be close for a sphere since this is just back of the envelope calculating. This is going to give you a tremendous number of particles.
By example, just picking numbers out of a hat: (6 kg/2000kg/m3)/(pi/6*60e-6m3)*0.6 ~ 1.59E10 particles.
Then for PIC, you have to choose a stat weight that is appropriate for your mesh, and so you don’t have E10 particles to deal with.

2 Likes

Sorry for the late response. In addition to what maclarke said, I can advice you to read this link if you didn’t (8.5. How to setup PIC simulations — MFiX 20.4-dev documentation).

1 Like

@maclarke and @kececi.ahmet,

thank you very much, I will try.