Question about meshing/boundaries

When I provide an stl to MFiX for my geometry, I am unable to get all the cells along the STL walls to be assigned to the correct boundary associated with the STL without allowing for very small cell areas/volumes to be generated. I have attached an image showing the resulting BC IDs associated with each cell. I’m not sure if this is just an issue with the output and they have actually been assigned to the correct boundary group, or if they are in fact assigned to a different boundary group. If they are not being assigned to the correct boundary, what, if any boundary group are they assigned? And, if they are being assigned to the incorrect (or no boundary group), how can I remedy this issue?

Also, during the multiphase workshop, I was told that for the PIC model, all cut-cell walls are assigned triangles defining a wall, which will be seen by the PIC algorithm. Is there any way to ouput this information during the initialization process so that I can verify there are no holes in the domain where particles can escape? Right now, the only information about walls I have been able to output is the NAME_boundary.vtk file, which shows a large portion of the walls missing (see attached image).

I probably should also mention that the mesh in this domain is limited by the size of the particles in the simulation and its already at the lower limit of cell size, so I am unable to use a finer mesh to overcome these issues.

The quality of STL strongly affect the quality of the mesh. For complex geometry (for example your case, not axisymmetric ), I suggest to use Gambit or blender to create the STL.

You have to run several steps and write files to visualize where have have holes.