SMP Solver (Windows)

Good morning all. I am using a single Windows 11 workstation (64gb Ram, 32 core CPU) to run simulations using the MFix GUI on 24.2.1.
I have used the GUI solver builder to create a 32 thread SMP, which builds with no issues. When I come to run the simulation, it does not run and returns a message of “MFiX process has stopped
Previous MFiX run is resumable.” I have scrolled up in the log and there are no other errors preventing it. This issue is persistent across every simulation I try and run using SMP (even the tutorial examples). It will run fine, but slow, on the single mfixsolver.

Is there something I am doing wrong? I’m not sure what files I can upload to aid with this problem?

Thank you

Hi Declan… welcome to the MFiX forum

To upload your project files, go to the main menu, select “Submit bug report”, and upload the resulting ZIP file.

Does the case run in serial mode (no SMP)?

1 Like

mixer_2024-07-25T141723.842296.zip (45.1 MB)
Here is the bug report. Doing some searching around, this seems to be an issue without a solution in Windows. Would setting up a dual boot Linux with MFix potentially solve this? Would I see significant reductions in simulation time?

Thanks

to note: it does run and simulate in serial mode (albeit slowly)

Yes, simulations generally run faster in Linux, and on Linux both SMP and DMP are available.

1 Like