Two DEM reactors in series

Hi all. I am a new MFIX user. I am interested in simulating two gasification reactors in series. The first reactor is a fluidized bed reactor, and the second is a fixed bed reactor. I would like to run a simulation of the fluidized bed reactor and use the output parameters as input for the fixed bed reactor. Is this possible?

Thank you for the help.

Hi - I’m not quite sure what you mean here. What “output parameters” do you want to use - something like pressure at the output of the first reactor is the same as pressure at the input to the second? Is this pressure time-varying? Do you want to run the simulations at the same time, or can you run the first one, save output to a file, then use that for input to the second?

If you provide some more details about what you are doing, we may be able to come up with a solution.

Thanks for your answer Charles. My intention is to independently solve the two reactors. The first reactor is the fluidized bed. The idea is to solve this reactor first. The gases that are produced in the gasification reactions in the first reactor will enter the second reactor. The idea would be to be able to do something like, take the solution of the first reactor and be able to change the mass inflow for each time step. Is there a way to do this or something similar?
Thank you.

You should be able to create a time-varying mass inflow for the second reactor but this will require writing UDFs (User-Defined Functions) - how familiar are you with coding in Fortran?

Although I have some knowledge of FORTRAN, I’m not super familiar with it. Do you know of any guides or examples that could help me learn how to create and use UDFs in MFIX?

https://mfix.netl.doe.gov/doc/mfix/23.1/html/tutorials/advanced_tutorials.html?highlight=udf