Volume Fraction SUMValue out of range

Attached are input files for a case where I am getting an initial volume fraction sum out of range (1.00216). I don’t see how my inputs are creating this. The problem involves a fluidized bed with metal oxide particles with reactions to release oxygen that is then used to combust coal being fed from the bottom carried with steam. I don’t get the error if the coal composition in the bottom BC has only ash but when I put in other constituents for the coal, I get the error. fuel_reactor2d.mfx (26.8 KB)usr_rates.f (12.2 KB)

I can tell by looking at the mfx file that the species don’t sum to one, but I can’t figure out how the GUI let you get in this state. It will take a bit of time to figure this out.

A ticket has been created for this bug:

It looks like you are tripping some logic in the code that is there to make cases with variable solids density converge better when the solids concentration is very low.

MFIX needs some work on the solver side to fully addresses the issue. This will take a little time to get right and will not be ready for the next release. To get your case to run without changing your mass inflow settings, add DIL_FACTOR_VSD=1 to your .mfx file.

Hi, Weber

I am not familiar to GitLab and something relevant to it. There is a stupid question i want to ask you

Can you please tell me how can i sign in Gitlab? Where can i register? As shown in the figure below, it seems MFIX’s account and password is invalid. But i cannot find where to sign up.

Thank you.

It’s not a stupid question at all, but the answer is that the GitLab page is only for MFiX developers. This is not open to the public or general MFiX users. Sorry for the confusion.

– Charles