Wave propagration

Dear developers!

I’m reaching out to explore the possibility of simulating the transportation of coarse-grained particles within fluid waves using MFiX. My study primarily revolves around the motion and interaction of these particles in the context of linear waves, as an initial step.

I’ve been trying to find resources or guidelines related to wave simulation within MFiX, but have not found any thus far. My current approach leans towards employing the Two Fluid Model (TFM) and Coarse-Grained Particle Method (CGPM). However, I’m not certain if these methods are suitable for my purpose, or how to best use them for such a simulation.

If this scenario can be effectively modeled using MFiX, I would greatly appreciate it if you could guide me to any related examples, case studies, or tutorials that could assist me in setting up and running the simulation.

Your insights and suggestions would be immensely valuable to my research. Thank you for your time and support.

Best regards,

Denis

Hi Denis,

What do you mean by waves? liquid (water) waves?

Thanks for your reply!

Yes I mean liquid waves on ocean or rivers.

I guess the first question would be how you intend to drive the waves - airflow above the water, or a time-varying boundary condition?

But since (AFAIK) MFiX only allows a single fluid phase, the air-over-water solution is not possible.

Thanks a lot!
My case actually is about the gravity waves that are dominated with gravity and inertia neglecting the tension of the water. Does MFiX provide the boundary condtions for wave like wave2foam in openfoam?

MFiX does not have any support for waves. You might be able to implement the boundary conditions as a user-defined function (custom code). But the problem, as I see it, is that MFiX assumes that there is a single, homogeneous fluid/void phase - for water waves, you’d need water up to a cetain height, with air space above it - I may be wrong about this but I believe this is not possible in MFiX.