Wet particles with liquid bridging and liquid transfer

Hello MFiX community,

I am currently attempting to implement a wet particle model into MFiX DEM which includes transfer of liquid between particles.
The primary problem I am currently encountering is that I need some way to store the volume of liquid which is contained in liquid bridges between pairs of particles which have collided. These values will need to be saved from one DEM timestep to the next.
I was wondering if you could suggest a method for storing this information, ideally without requiring a very large array on the order of the number of particles squared.
I began looking into the part of the code where the neighbor list is created, but have become somewhat lost as to how it works and how I can use this for my application.

I have included the incomplete code I am using, implemented into a simple collision of two particles. The majority of the liquid bridging calculations are in ‘calc_force_dem.f’ starting at line 268. I was also wondering if this seems like the ideal place to perform the calculations, or if a UDF would be more suitable. It seems as though the force calculation is currently only performed while the particles are overlapping.

Thank you in advance for your time!

lb_test_2024-01-24T190413.992014.zip (405.1 KB)