Working difference between MFIX 19.3.1 and 20.1.2

Dear community:

I am using MFIX-19.3.1 on a Cluster with CentOS 7, I start the MFIX-GUI and it works from the console by ssh and my notebook Linux OpenSUSE. Now I installed the version of MFIX-20.1.2, the GUI starts from the console, but I could not open any project because it falls. This on my notebook and other PC had not happened even working with ssh. The console gave me the following message:

1. This message is repeated in both versions 19 and 20 but changing the accompanying code 0x55a85323c7d0 and it is never the same code for both versions.

ERROR: In ../Rendering/OpenGL2/vtkShaderProgram.cxx, line 447 vtkShaderProgram (0x55e99680bd50): 0:1(10): error: GLSL 1.50 is not supported. Supported versions are: 1.10, 1.20, 1.30, 1.00 ES, and 3.00 ES

1. In version 20.1.2 this message appears only the first time I start the GUI from the console

terminate called after throwing an instance of 'std::bad_alloc' what(): std::bad_alloc Aborted (core dumped)

This happens with the latest version 20.1.2 but we don’t know why it happens.

Best Regards

1 Like

It seems like your system has an older OpenGL2:
../Rendering/OpenGL2/vtkShaderProgram.cxx

Does paraview run on your systems? On the cluster, do you need to use an opengl command like vglrun mfix?

You can disable VTK (the library that uses opengl) by passing --novtk flag:

mfix --novtk

1 Like

Ok, now I can open proyects, but …

What other disadvantages are there besides not being able to see the regions and meshing in the GUI? Does it affect the results if I later perform simulations from the console?

If you run without VTK, you can’t see any 3D visualizations in the GUI or have access to the geometry features. It does not effect the solver.

What machine are you running on? Do any 3D graphics work? Paraview?

I found this code in the manual and it solved the problem of opening the GUI with VTK

env MESA_GL_VERSION_OVERRIDE=3.2 mfix -n -l info

2 Likes