Cannot open VTK output file

Can you please post the output of conda list?

@DillonLabban

In addition to conda list as Jeff asked, I’d also like to know what happens if you go into an Anaconda prompt and type

python -c import vtk

From the message above I see that it’s a DLL problem, but it’s not clear exactly which DLL is the cause.

– Charles

See the attached text file anaconda3_condalist_vtkimport.txt (18.0 KB)

I meant once you have activated the mfix-21.1.2 environment:

conda activate mfix-21.1.2
conda list

and look for the version of tbb. It should be

tbb 2020.2 h59b6b97_0

Also try to put quotes around the “import vtk”:

python -c “import vtk”

Thanks Jeff - right, I meant to type python -c "import vtk", thanks for the correction.

What’s interesting to me about this traceback is that it doesn’t mention tbb, it’s different from the error that was reported at the beginning of this thread.

It doesn’t mention any particular DLL (it could still be libtbb but we don’t know) and the error is different:

The first one:

ImportError: DLL load failed: The specified module could not be found.

The new error Dillon reported:

ImportError: DLL load failed: The specified procedure could not be found.

“Specified module” vs “specified procedure” - I
It would be helpful if the error message told us which module or procedure!
I think “the specified module” error means a file is missing, while the “specified procedure” means that the file is found, but there are unresolved external symbols.

– Charles

My mistake. See the attached text file for these opened in the mfix environment. anaconda3_condalist_vtkimport_updated.txt (8.6 KB)

the tbb version appears to match what you’ve specified.

I install mfix-21.1.2 and meet the same problem with DillonLabban, when I follow your reply, I find that the tbb version is 2020.2 hff7bd54_0 and type python -c "import vtk" and it shows:

(mfix-21.1.2) user@user-virtual-machine:~$ python -c “import vtk”
File “”, line 1
“import
^
SyntaxError: invalid character in identifier

I can’t understand what has happened and it still occurs the problem I meet today. So what can I do now?

There seems to be some issues with the latest anaconda and vtk. Please try to downdrade jsoncpp by typing the following while in the mfix-21.1.2 environment:

conda install -c conda-forge jsoncpp==1.8.1

and let us know if this helps.

Using conda install -c conda-forge jsoncpp==1.8.1 has resulted in the MFiX vtk/3D modeling functioning properly in the mfix-21.1.2 environment!

Thank you very much Charles and Jeff for working with us on this issue.

1 Like

Thank you for your patience. We will do another point release on Monday to address this issue, and hopefully this work around will be sufficient till then.

thanks you this work for me

Hi,Jeff. I’m sorry to disturb you, I have tried all ways mentioned above but still failed to solve this problem. What can I do?

@Y_Guo : We want to help you get this sorted out. Are you on Windows or Linux? What version of the Anaconda installer are you using? What’s the error you are getting?

– Charles

I also run the “conda install -c conda-forge jsoncpp==1.8.1” on both windows and Linux but it did not help. I am using anaconda 4.10.1 and python 3.7.10
In addition, I found the button under the geometry column can not work normally. It did not allow me to introduce the STL file.

I install on Linux and the anaconda version is 4.10.1.
The detailed errors are as follows:

Could not import VTK, please check your installation.
traceback:
Traceback (most recent call last):
File “/home/user/anaconda3/envs/mfix-21.1.2/lib/python3.7/site-packages/vtkmodules/vtkIOParallel.py”, line 5, in
from .vtkIOParallelPython import *
ImportError: libjsoncpp.so.19: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

During handling of the above exception, another exception occurred:

Traceback (most recent call last):
File “/home/user/anaconda3/envs/mfix-21.1.2/lib/python3.7/site-packages/mfixgui/vtk_widgets/init.py”, line 8, in
import vtk
File “/home/user/anaconda3/envs/mfix-21.1.2/lib/python3.7/site-packages/vtk.py”, line 32, in
all_spec.loader.exec_module(all_m)
File “/home/user/anaconda3/envs/mfix-21.1.2/lib/python3.7/site-packages/vtkmodules/all.py”, line 83, in
from .vtkIOParallel import *
File “/home/user/anaconda3/envs/mfix-21.1.2/lib/python3.7/site-packages/vtkmodules/vtkIOParallel.py”, line 9, in
from vtkIOParallelPython import *
ModuleNotFoundError: No module named ‘vtkIOParallelPython’

@yueyuanhe - I think you are seeing a different problem - the issues with the tbb and jsoncpp libraries keep the GUI from starting at all. Can you please start a new thread for the problem you are seeing, and include your project file & error messages?

Thanks

– Charles

@Y_Guo - and anyone else having difficulty installing 21.1.2 on Linux:

On Linux the workaround is a little different. Try:

$ conda activate mfix-21.1.2
$ conda install jsoncpp=1.8.3

this got me a working MFiX on Linux - please let me know if this works for you.

We hope the installation goes more smoothly on the next release - sorry for the inconvenience.

– Charles

1 Like

@Y_Guo and anyone else with installation issues - we just released version 21.1.3 which should install cleanly on Linux and Windows. If your installation is already working there’s no reason to upgrade, but if you are still having trouble give this a shot and let me know if it works for you.

– Charles

I have solved this problem by typing " $ conda install jsoncpp=1.8.3". Thank you for your solution.

1 Like

Hi Charles,
The updated 21.1.3 solved my problem. Thank you very much.

Regards
Yuanhe