GUI bug and solid phase cannot be fluidized using MFIX-TFM

BUG REPORT

Type of issue
Setup in GUI (and solid phase can’t be fluidized)

Description
When i clicked the “solid 1” button in the “BC_1” panel, this GUI error occurred

Attempts to fix the issue
I don’t know how to fix this problem. And i think my case script is correct.

Did you?

• Select the relevant category (Installation / How to / Bug report / Share)? YES
  • Search the forum for similar issues, Read the documentation (MFiX User Manual — MFiX 24.2 documentation)? YES
  • Inspect the console, error and warning messages? YES. And this case can run as normal, but solid phase can’t be fluidized.
  • Modify the code, or write UDFs? NO
  • Run the solver in debug mode? NO

Attach project files
Attach zip file generated from main menu> submit bug report.

tfm_2d_l6_2024-07-08T112215.301812.zip (1.2 MB)

This is a bug in the MFiX GUI which was fixed for the 24.2 release, which came out last week. If you upgrade to 24.2 you should see that this problem is gone. Sorry for the trouble.

Hi Charles,

Thank you for your reply. I have upgraded MFIX to version 24.2, and the GUI bug has been fixed. However, there is another bug that remains unfixed — the solid phase can’t be fluidized in my case. Even when I increased the inlet velocity, the solid phase still couldn’t be fluidized. I think this is unphysical. Could you please check my case?

Thank you.

Can you please attach your files (Main menu> submit bug report)? When you select the mass flow rate as the input for the BC, there should not be an option to set the y-component of the velocity. Here the mass flow rate is zero, which is probably why the bed doesn’t fluidize. You should not be prompted to specify the y-component of the velocity. I don’t see this on my end:

Never mind, I see you attached the case you set up with 24.1. The issue is you set the BC regions as STL regions but you did not assign any geometry to it. You should have gotten a warning:

Warning: There are no facets selected with region BC_1. Please make sure this is a valid region on the region pane.

when you set the simulation up. The real bug is the GUI should not allow you to check the “Select facets (STL)” box when no STL files were defined. Now the reason you see both the mass flow rate and velocity components in the BC pane is because when applying a mass inlet along an STL file, it is converted to point sources. The mass flow rate is enforced but not the velocity components (these are optional inputs).

Your geometry is rectangular, you don’t need to define any STL files and you don’t need to check the “Select facets (STL)” box for any of the regions. Then the BC pane will only have either the mass flow rate of the velocity components.

If you fix all of your regions and reset your BCs, it should work.

Hi, Dr. Dietiker,

Thank you for your detailed reply. With your help, the problem ‘solid phase can’t be fluidized’ has been solved.

@wuming - I’m glad the problem was resolved. In the future, if an issue has been marked as solved (the “Solution” checkbox), create a new issue for additional questions - this makes it easier for us to keep track of what issues have been solved and which are still open. Thanks.

OK. Thank you, Charles.