Heat transfer boundary condition, DEM

Hello everyone,

I’m simulating heat transfer in a simple rectangular fluidized bed. For the boundary condition, I wanted to set the wall heat loss coefficient to 350 W/m^2·K for the side walls, but unfortunately, that option isn’t available in MFIX. So, I tried playing around with the energy equation options in the B.C. panel, specifically convective flux. However, even after trying an extensive range of values from close to 0 to 10^5, these option only seem to make a small difference. It’s not nearly enough to produce the desired effect on particles temperature.
I greatly appreciate any ideas or suggestions on how to work this out.
heattransfer_2023-11-05T235024.398573.zip (28.6 KB)

I also gave the constant flux option a try even though it didn’t quite suit my case.
However even with this alternative, I didn’t achieve better results.
changing constant flux from -100 to -1000 and even more like -10000,… still doesn’t change average particle temperature after 10 second run.

These settings apply to the gas phase. For the particles, you can use adiabatic wall or constant temperature wall (you currently have adiabatic BC for the particles).

Hello, have you solved the problem of heat transfer coefficient setting?

Hello! I tried out using constant temperature wall boundary conditions for particles, and although it had an impact on heat transfer, it didn’t produce the results I was looking for. Therefore, I’ve decided to move on from that topic completely. I’ve realized that there are limitations in DEM simulation and boundary conditions. To solve this, I had to make some changes in the code, particularly in adjusting the energy equation in the MFIX software. If you’re interested, there’s an article at Redirecting that could offer some valuable insights.