Heat Transfer Equations and Heat Flux Problem

Dear All,

I’m currently dealing with heat transfer analysis on MFIX. I’m trying to simulate my conical spouted bed system in DEM but I have a few questions about it.

1. When I wanted to give thermal conductivity to the solid particle, I had to select Musser’s equations. I have just found Musser’s PhD thesis and he summarized the heat transfer equations on MFIX. Are all of the heat transfer equations in Musser’s thesis implemented on MFIX?

2. To calculate the Nusselt number, some correlations exist in the literature. As you know, Marshal’s correlation is suitable for DEM, but I saw lots of Gunn’s correlation in the literature. In MFIX-DEM, which correlations are used?

3. Is there any document that explains heat transfer equations fully in MFIX? In the 2012 DEM Equation sheet, some equations are missing I think.

4. Finally, I want to give heat flux at a specified height. This specific height is in the fountain region of the spouted bed and close to the static bed height of the spouted bed. When I created a region and assigned it as a wall boundary condition hydrodynamics of the spouted bed failed. Particles hit the region that I defined and bounce back to the bed. How can I define it ? In more detail, we are trying to simulate the CSP system, and the point that I want to give heat flux is the focal point of sunlight.

You can select the Nusselt Number correlation in the Solids>DEM pane: