How to add superquadric shape in DEM

Dear develpoers!
I want to add non spherical particles via superquadric function in DEM slover. Kindly guide me to proceed further. Whenever I try to add primitives via superquadric, the following error prompt. zip file also attached

teset_2023-02-24T095641.876593.zip (8.7 KB)

The particle shape is set in the Solids> Material pane, not the geometry pane.

Thanks for the report, Majid. As Jeff points out this is not the place to define the superquadric shape. But it looks like you found another small issue in the geometry pane, which we will fix in the next release. We always appreciate feedback from our users, especially when it comes complete with the .zip file.

– Charles

Dear,
In the tutorial ‘‘Three dimensional single phase flow over sphere’’, the sphere was added in the geometry pane. In my case, I want to add non spherical particles, which are fixed in the domain and fluid passes over them.
So in this context what should I have to do?

@majidkhalil

Hi Majid -

Sorry for the confusion. We recently added non-spherical particle (SQP) mode to MFiX and we thought you were asking about that. But you are trying to add a superquadric boundary, in the Geometry pane. This is not really a “particle”, and that was the source of the confusion. If the surface is fixed, it’s a boundary or internal surface - particles are dynamic.

Furthermore, it looks like there is a bug in MFiX 22.4 - what you were doing was correct, adding the superquadric primitive should work without producing that error. We are investigating the problem and will issue a fix ASAP.

Thanks,

– Charles

Until we push a new version with the geometry fix, you can use the implicits → superquadric shape. This is similar to the primitive version, but allows the user to change the sampling of the function to define the surface.

Note: you have to “sample” the implicit functions with the “sample implicit” filter. So with the implicit geometry selected, apply the sample implicit filter.

1 Like

Actually, I want to work on these fixed shapes. I want to start with single non spherical (prolate, oblate etc) and then proceed further.

Hmmm. What if you use the SQP solver and just make the particles extremely massive, so they won’t move?

There is a Distribution wizard in the GUI that you might want to play with. Unfortunately it is currently broken, which I have now fixed and will push in to the next release. However, it does not prevent overlaps of the objects, which will be the hard part if you are trying to get to high packing fractions.

@onlyjus
I want to add super quadric in geometry, but GUI wizard distributed doesn’t work on MFiX 23.1.1