How to define a particle releasing line in a 2D DEM simulation?

Hi everyone,

I want to simulate fluid and particle flow passing a cylinder in a 2D domain. I need to inject particles continuously in the domain and in direction of the flow from a line between the inlet and cylinder. Can I define a rectangular region around the cylinder to define a domain for DEM solution and then rlease particles from an edge of the domain?

No, you can only inject particles along a boundary. The DEM domain also need to be the same as the fluid domain. What do yo need to happen when the particles leave your DEM domain?

Hi Jeff,

Thank you for replying. I wanted to restrict the domain for computational time, because the fate of the particles are important just around the cylinder. Of course, MFIX being able to resolve 2D DEM is a help in computational cost too. So, then do I need to define a region for DEM that overlaps the flow domain, or I only need to define the inlet as releasing point in DEM boundary condition?

There is nothing specific you need to define for the DEM domain, it will be the same as the fluid domain. You can release the particles along the same plane as the inlet plane on the left.

Thank you Jeff.

I have a problem with the simulation (Maybe I should open another thread).
I tried to simulate a 2D case of flow around the cylinder, but I get this error, although I have given the particle size, density, and mass flow rate on the inlet, I get this error at the beginning of the simulation:
Error 1100: FATAL - DEM particle input file not found!
Error 1100: Unable to determine the phase of one or more particles.
ID Diameter Density
1 0.0000 0.0000
Defined phase parameters (keywords or initial density):
ID Diameter Density
1 0.31000E-03 1030.0
Thank you.

This error means you are trying to read the particle initial condition from particle_input.dat file. If this is not your intention, go to the Solids>DEM pane and make sure the “Enable automatic particle generation” box is checked.

Thank you so much again Jeff! It is working now.