Is it possible to fix the velocity and temperature field for CFD-DEM?

Hi, I know that after 1,000 seconds, a steady-state is reached with respect to the temperature and velocity field of the gas-phase of my CFD-DEM simulation.
I’d like to use these steady-state fields as fixed values for the CFD-DEM simulation of reactive particles, given that the behavior of these particles has no impact upon the gaseous flow whatsoever.
Is it possible to do this with Mfix-DEM or must I choose another software?

Many thanks for your help!

You may be able to do that by setting

MOMENTUM_X_EQ(0) = .FALSE.
MOMENTUM_Y_EQ(0) = .FALSE.
MOMENTUM_Z_EQ(0) = .FALSE.

in usr1.f once you reach 1,000 seconds of simulation, and turn off the gas temperature update in solve_energy_eq.f.

However, I am not sure why you would want to do that. Either you have reached a steady state and you can stop the simulation all together, or the particles are still reacting, and they will affect the gas flow.

Dear Jeff, I am most thankful for your help!

Actually, I want to simulate reactive iron ore particles in a gaseous hydrogen flow under the assumption that while the temperature and the chemical conversion of the particles are strongly influenced by the gaseous flow, the reaction of the particles itself has only a negligible impact upon the gaseous flow.

I tried to simulate the flow and the gas-solid reaction for one single particle but the computation lasted more than three days …

As a consequence, I’d like to UNCOUPLE the evolution of the particle’s chemical composition from the gaseous flow by assuming that a steady state has been reached.

If I understand you correctly, I should start the simulation without the simulation and at t = 1,000 s I should switch off the momentum balance of the gas in “usr1.f” and the energy balance of the gas in “solve_energy_eq.f” while switching on the reaction in “usr_rates_des.f”, am I right?

Could you please tell me how to switch off the energy balance in “solve_energy_eq.f” ?

Kind regards.