Movable porous medium

Can we create a movable porous medium which only allows the gas (air) to pass and restricts the flow of particles though it ?
Hello experts. I just want to know whether we can create a movable porous medium in MFiX (using TFM / DEM) or not. I am herewith attaching the image of the desired geometry. I tried creating a movable(STL) as an internal surface, but it didn’t work. Your help would be much appreciated. Thanks!

Hello @jeff.dietiker. Could you please help me regarding this. Can we create a porous block by generating a bed of particles with increased particle-particle cohesive interaction and reduced particle-wall adhesive force so that it behaves as a porous block and can move along the cylinder.?
Thanks in advance.

What went wrong when you tried to implement this via a moving semi-permeable internal surface?

Fluid permeability option is disabled for moving internal surface. Either we can create a movable surface or semi-permeable surface.

Do you need to control the movement of the porous block or does it depend on its interaction with the blue particles, gas phase and gravity?

The movement of the porous block should depend on its interaction with the blue particles, gas phase and gravity. The block should move in accordance with the upward motion of the particles, but there needs to be some clearance between it and the walls for the block to move. In order for the gas to pass through the block, it must be permeable.

My suggestion is to use DEM (or CGDEM if there are too many particles). Use phase 1 for the blue particles, phase 2 for the porous media particles. You will need to edit calc_force_dem.f to only have cohesive forces between phase 2 particles. See IF construct around line 179. You can get the phase ID of particle I with PIJK(I,5) , see line 239.

Good luck!