Particles don't settle as expected

Hello,

I am trying to simulate a fluidized bed with tubes in a cuboid. Currently I’m working on the settling simulation part. Without the tubes, the particles have settled as expected with pure granular flow (without gas flow). When the tubes were added, the particles no longer settled. Rather, they pushed off each other or off the pipes and filled the entire cuboid. Since these are very large CG factors, I have already tried lowering the coefficient of restitution (from 0.95 to 0.002). Nevertheless, a similar picture resulted. The spring stiffness had to be greatly increased in advance to guarantee an overlap of less than 1 percent.

I use the MFiX version 22.4.3. I’m using the modified functions to evaluate the overlap between the particles.

Does anyone perhaps have an idea what could be causing the particles to behave this way? Or rather: Which value could still be reasonably adjusted? I have attached my simulation files.

Thanks in advance for your help

With best regards

Fritzi

calc_collision_wall_mod.f (42.4 KB)
calc_force_dem.f (15.4 KB)
FB_tubes_rectangular_particleset_l25.mfx (15.5 KB)

FB_tubes_067s

It is the large values of the spring stiffness that causes the unphysical bouncing. It runs better when I decrease it by a factor of 100 or 1000. You can also try the Hertzian collision model to see if it works better for you.