Request for Information on the Availability of Particle Scale Model in MFiX-DEM

Dear MFIX Developers,

I hope this message finds you well. I am writing to inquire about the updated version of MFiX that includes the “particle scale model” discussed in the article published in the AIChE Journal (https://doi.org/10.1002/aic.17139). I am eager to know when this updated feature will be available.

As you may be aware, this new feature is crucial in studying the heat and mass transfer of non-spherical particles. Given their larger size, intraparticle phenomena cannot be disregarded. Therefore, incorporating the particle scale model would significantly enhance the accuracy of simulations and expand the scope of research on gas-solid flow systems consisting of non-spherical particles.

In case the updated version of MFiX is not yet available, I would appreciate it if you could advise me on how to implement the particle scale model within the current version of MFiX. This would enable me to investigate the heat and mass transfer of non-spherical particles in gas-solid flow systems.

Thank you for your attention to my inquiry. I look forward to hearing back from you soon.

Sincerely,
Guoqing lian

The 1D particle model is not currently distributed with MFiX and we do not currently have a good estimate for the its release but it won’t be before 2024.

There should be sufficient information in the paper to implement on your own, although the 1D model was limited to specific shapes (sphere, cylinder, rectangles).

Thanks @jeff.dietiker