Some problems about DEM

Hello researchers, I always encountered this error while simulating the DEM chemical reaction rate. I know the reason is that the denominator is 0, and I also debugged to remove the denominator from the source code. At this point, OMON (NN) is a constant, but the same error still occurred. How do I solve this problem? I have two ideas. One is to make modifications to the operation interface, but I don’t know which parameters to modify. The second is related to the writing of the reaction rate code. I earnestly request that you help me solve this problem. Thank you very much.

My guess is you consume all species in a particle and it’s size become zero. You have a few options:

1. Turn off reactions when the particle size gets too small (below some threshold)
  2. Add an inert species so the particle size never goes down to zero
  3. Delete particles when it’s size is near zero

Thank you very much for your reply. What I am curious about is whether I add inert particles in the initial bed or add inert particles at the inlet to enter the reactor together with biomass?

Also, as shown in the figure below, I want to know whether I need to tick the inert option after ash in biomass.

Best wishes!

You don’t add inert particles to any IC or BC, you define an inert species that doesn’t take part in any reactions and has a non-zero value in the IC and BCs so the particle mass/density will never go to zero.

Thank you for your patient answer. I will try according to your suggestion.