Spherical Coordinates

I want to simulate fluid movement within a spherical droplet. Does Mfix support spherical coordinates?
or if not, is it possible to define boundaries such that the domain become a sphere?

MFiX does not support spherical coordinates. However, you could mesh a sphere with Cartesian coordinates.

Is there an example or a test case that I can use for learning purposes where the boundary is defined as a shape other than a box?

There is a step by step tutorial for the flow over a sphere (single phase): https://mfix.netl.doe.gov/doc/mfix/19.1.4/tutorials/tutorial_sphere.html

Thank you Jeff. But I would like to simulate flow inside a sphere, where the surface of the surface of the sphere would be the boundary.
The tutorial is a sphere in a box. I want the domain (the box in tutorial) to be a sphere, so I can control the boundaries of the sphere and assign mass-inflow,outflow conditions.
I have currently made a sphere, where I simulate the flow inside the STL sphere, but I have no control over the surface of sphere and the fluid interaction with it.

Hello,

Did you find a way to solve it?

I switched from MFIX to OpenFOAM.

1 Like