Stationary Particle MFiX-DEM

Hello MFiX Development team/Community,

I’m currently working on a single-particle simulation, and would appreciate assistance with keeping the particle stationary inside of the particle region. I included a particle_input.dat file to initialize the position of the particle, which is centered about the particle region. However, given the fluid initial/boundary conditions, as well as the solid properties, the particle moves inside of the particle region. To prevent this motion from occurring, I initially copied DES_time_march.f into the project folder, commented the function ‘CFNEWVALUES’ (line 198) so that the position and velocity of the particle would not be updated, built a custom solver via the GUI, and successfully ran the simulation. However, I did a quick comparison between the two cases: moving particle (DES_time_march.f not included) and stationary particle (CFNEWVALUES commented). Per the plot, there is a clear difference in temperature between the two cases - so I’m not sure what other functions are affected by commenting CFNEWVALUES. Is there another option in the MFiX-DEM solver to make the particle stationary inside a defined region? I also tried maximizing the particle-wall friction coefficient under the DEM sub-pane, within the Solids pane, but the particle still moves at the same rate. Attached is the (compressed) project folder, and the aforementioned temperature plot comparing the two cases. The 1.04 cm in the plot title corresponds to the cell width in all three directions.

I would greatly appreciate any help at your earliest convenience.

Kind regards,

James

single_particle.zip (8.4 MB)
DES_time_march_plot

I am not sure you should expect the temperatures to be exactly the same. I didn’t run your case but that seems to be the right way to keep particles stationary.

Given the same inlet flow BC, if the particle is moving, it should have a different relative velocity to the gas compared to a stationary particle, resulting in different heat transfer rates?