Troubles generating Mesh - open cells

Dear Jeff, Dear Charles,

I am having severe problems trying to get ready a CGP-Simulation. Step by step:
1.- my very first problem is to close my tank when I generate the mesh. Even increasing the number of cells it seems it is still open and I guess this is my problem for converging my first step (inlet-outlet, single phase flow water simulation).
I attached my geometry.
tank_2023-03-28T141538.987412.zip (57.8 MB)

2.- If it runs, I need to include a rotor inside the tank, which has to rotate around 1450 RPM! Rotation is the next issue. But I will try by myself first.

QUESTION: how can I visualize internal (volumetric) cells in my domain?

Best regards

Anuhar

1. Can you please attach your stl file “tank.stl” ?
    Did you check the normal vectors in your stl file? Please attach a snapshot of your mesh and describe what you mean by “still open”

2. You will have to create a group of particles to represent the rotor and impose a velocity on these particles. Please take a look at the screefeeeder dem tutorial.

You can save cell data in the vtk files.

Hi Jeff,
first of all, I appreciate the time you spend having a look of my simulation case.
In the meantime I have already visualized the mesh under Paraview and what I meant with open mesh is actually closed :slight_smile: . Unfortunatelly I am getting a bit dissapointed since even a simple one-phase flow without any moving part nor particles is not converging. Let me explain it:

The main idea is actually to simulate something very similar to the geometry I attache here:

tank_test_2023-04-21T130240.211119.zip (2.2 MB)

1.- The final goal is to test MFIX for CFD-DEM simulations of wet grinding using CGP.
2.- Before moving any rotor or including any particle, I need first to check whether the CFD simulation for the incompressible fluid (rho=1050 kg/m³, visc= 0.00105 Pas) works with a mass flow rate up to 1 kg/s in a characteristic system (domain) with a volume up to 60 L.
3.- The next step is to rotate what I call rotor (STL movable) with a relatively high velocity (25 rps). This could be an issue. If everything works,
4.- I will try to include particles (rho=6050 kg/m³, d=0.0005 m) using CGP. <— This will take time.

But coming back to my current problem, I just want to simulate a simple single-phase flow through the tank with an inlet (mass flow) and an outlet (pressure outlet). The rotor is in the file but for the very first simulation I did inlcude it. So I read some topics in the Forum I have tried many different things: reduce the dt, increase mesh resolution, change some numerics and still the simulation is not converging, actually it does not start!!.
I know you (Jeff) and Charles @cgw recommend first to try and try before asking in the Forum, since you are (I am sure) really busy, but I have already checked many things and I got stuck.

I will really appreaciate any suggestion or hint to move forwards.

Best regards

Anuhar

Hi Jeff,

I attached a picture of my mesh. This is what I mean by open cells, the apparently missing cells at the edges of my tank.

I also attached the mesh settings I used for the mesher.

Are these cells normal or are they the reason why my simulation is not working?

Thank you in advance.

Not sure, but this geometry doesn’t look like the one in your zip file. Can you please upload your latest set of files?