DEM Particles with unrealistic high velocity

Hi All

I am trying to model a 3D spouting bed with a complex internal geometry. To simplify the case and get the simulation and mesh parameters honed in I removed the internal geometry and settled the bed. For the base case I got particles to settle by incrementally moving an internal non-permeable boundary down. The DEM velocities were all reasonable, as seen below:

The final geometry is the base case with an additional section connected to the bottom of the domain to form an internal geometry. When the IS placed above the cone (Y=0.84). The settling particles velocity is reasonable.

When the IS is moved down (Y=0.64) the velocities increase gradually as would expected for particles in free fall. But then it jumps an order of magnitude (0.3m/s to 91m/s). These particles is in the middle of the domain. I keep getting particles in ghost cells errors as these high speed ones go straight through my walls.

The resolution for the simple and complex geometry is the same in the initial cone region (y>0.62).

Increasing the damping constant between DEM particles to try and dissipate the velocities does not work. The spring constant between particles is the default value and the wall is x500 larger, and still get particles in ghost cells.

Any idea why or how these high velocities originate or how I can get rid of it to get the case settled? It seems like its an issue when importing the complex geometry STL.

Regards

What are your settings under the DEM solids pane? Specifically, what are the Advanced Settings:

These are the settings in my .mfx file.

Discrete element model

des_en_input(1) = 0.9
des_en_wall_input(1) = 0.9
des_etat_fac = 0.5
des_etat_w_fac = 0.5
des_interp_scheme = ‘NONE’
desgridsearch_imax = 140
desgridsearch_jmax = 413
desgridsearch_kmax = 140
gener_part_config = .True.
kn = 1000.0
kn_w = 500000.0
kt_fac = 0.42857142857143
kt_w_fac = 0.42857142857143
mew = 1.0
mew_w = 1.0

The mew and mew_w is set high to try and dampen the forces.

Regards

Is this the same issue as Particles in ghost cells - #9 by hualeina?

The default kn may be too low. Maybe the weight of the bed is too much for the soft particles, which triggers an excessive overlap and huge forces, thus large velocities.

Hi Gbotha, you can check the grid size, make sure that the size is bigger than 2RLM_factorparticle diameter when cell-linked (or grid-based) particle neighbor search algorithm is used.

Hi Jeff

I have a simplified test case where I only modeled the top cone to test the settling, constant and mesh. For this case the particles followed the expected behavior and it settles fine. The geometry with the internal surface is just an extension of the test case in the -y-direction, with the same mesh resolution, particle count and constants. Unsure how can effect the bed so much.

Regards

Did you change any of the mesher options? Specifically, have you messed with the default stl_small_angle? I’ve seen a DEM case in the past where a user set that keyword to zero (to avoid losing facets), but that can let malformed facets with a zero angle through. The case ran fine until a particle touched one of those facets, at which point the particles would go nuts.

When I mesh with the default mesher values I get regions a mesh with weird protrusions or pieces missing, as seen below:

with a finer resolution it looks worse.

These are my other parameters

Geometry

coordinates = ‘CARTESIAN’
imax = 116
jmax = 248
kmax = 116
x_max = 0.46
x_min = -0.46
y_max = 2.9
y_min = -0.3
z_max = 0.46
z_min = -0.46
cpy(0) = 2.9
ery(1) = 2.0
first_dy(1) = 0.0
last_dy(1) = 0.0
ncy(1) = 248
no_k = .False.

Cartesian grid

cartesian_grid = .True.
dim_facets_per_cell = 100
itermax_int = 10000
stl_small_angle = 0.1
tol_delh = 0.05
tol_small_area = 0.05
tol_small_cell = 0.05
tol_snap(1) = 0.0
tol_snap(2) = 0.0
tol_snap(3) = 0.0
tol_stl = 1.0000e-06
tol_stl_dp = 0.0001
use_stl = .True.

When decreasing stl_small_angle to 0.0 these mesh artifacts are removed. Increasing the mesh resolution with the default mesher parameters keep giving me bad meshes.

Can one of the other parameters cause it?

Thanks!

Can you get a good mesh with a non-zero value for stl_small_angle, say O(1.0e-9)? If not, I would try creating a new mesh as a zero value for stl_small_angle will continue to give you trouble.

As a side note – If your STL has a good mesh (no crazy aspect ratios or mal-formed facets), sometimes just shifting your geometry very slightly (0.02*dx, 0.02dy, 0.02dz) can improve the resulting mesh.

The majority of the STL are pretty large triangles. The internal surfaces to have smaller, high aspect ratio facets to capture the geomerty. I will try increasing it.

Thanks!

Hi Jordan.

I re-meshed and used a STL with coarser triangles. With stl_small_angle = 0.1 the particles still behave with irregular high velocities. It seems the happen when the particles move over the internal surface.

Attached the .mfx and output file if that can give any insight, unfortunately I can not share the STL file.

Thanks

settling.zip (13.5 KB)

Two items stick out :

• The code does a fairly reasonable job on picking values for the DES grid search parameters (desgridsearch_imax etc.). I leave these undefined most of the time and recommend you unset them.
  • Reduce the Max steps between neighbor search (neighbor_search_n) from 25 to 5. It could be that a collision is getting missed and a more frequent update will fix that.

Unfortunately, both of these adversely impact time to solution, but hopefully they’ll prove you some stability. I’ll leave the case you provided running overnight, but without the actual case, it’s possible I won’t see what you are experiencing.

1 Like

Thanks Jordan.

Removing the desgridsearch_jmax gives me a fatal error as the DEM grid spacing is just larger than the base. I am setting it equal to the base size, or should i decrease it?

Ill decrease the max steps and see what it does.

I know its difficult troubleshooting without the case.

Regards

I made some tweaks to your case last evening and it seemed to run. I’m rerunning it now with fewer modifications. Ignore the watermark. I have a script that generates animations that includes it by default.

1 Like

I have made the changes you recommended. Made desgridsearch_jmax = 2*jmax, to avoid the error.

The case is currently running and the velocities are reasonable. Ill drop the internal surface past the internal geometry and see if it still works.

Thanks for the help!

Hi Jordan

As mentioned the changes you proposed made the settling work till a point.

The high velocities still appear as soon as the internal surface is lowered below y=0.2. Here is a slice of the mesh at that height. The mesh seems okay?

Is there a way to communicate off forum?

Regards