Drawing geometry

Hello.
Excuse me, I have a question about mfix geometry.
How can I draw a 2D tapered fluidize bed?
I draw a 3d stl and then I don’t konw how i can use the slice that i want!

Would you mind helping me please?

Can you attach your *.mfx file? What solids model?

i want to simulate a 2D tapered fluidized bed with 2 solids. i attached *.mfix file. it’s my pleasure to find how can I draw its geometry.
thank you.polygon2.mfx (5.3 KB)

hello.
did you see my *.mfx file? could you help me please?

Your stl file is not included, as far as I know you could choose a slice of your 3D stl geometry using GUI.
Regards,

Thank you for your attention. Did you mean I must use coding? I attached my *.stl file again and a picture of my purpose structure. (I got help from the educational *.stl file which have attached for “how can I build a spouted bed structure?” to build my structure)
I want to build a tapered bed with this detail:
upper cross section is : 14.724 cm
bottom cross section is: 7 cm
total height is: 48 cm
I used three boxes and rotated two of the boxes diagonally to build this geometry. now I don’t know if the length of bottom section is 7 cm or not?
rect_spouted_bed-19.10.28.mfx (7.9 KB)

So this particular geometry would be hard to get exact using the tools provided by MFiX. I would suggest using a CAD program (Fusion 360, Inventor, SolidWorks, FreeCAD, etc.) to construct the geometry. Then export a STL file from the CAD software and load it in MFiX.

thank you very much. I got it.
I apologize for many questions about this. but in CAD, *.STL format is exported for 3D structures only. can I use 3D format in *. STL structure in MFIX and apply 2D button in geometry panel?
or draw a 3D tapered bed with box, cone and use difference and then apply 2D button in MFIX geometry panel?

Hello,
You could have a look to loop seal tutorial which is available in the source file . It took a 3D geometry and then treat it as a 2D. All of this steps are easy to do using GUI.

Regards.

2 Likes

Thank you so much. I got it.

Hi, onlyjus

It seems that for a complex 2-D geometry except for a rectangular , it is not supportted by MFIX. And it has to make a compromise to draw a pseudo-2-D geometry to replace a real 2-D geometry. Right?

I think Cut-cell is only 3D, right @jeff.dietiker?

Cut-cells can be 2D or 3D, but from the GUI, we can only use STL files, which must be 3D.

For 2D geometry, we can use quadrics or polygon text file. Download the MFiX tarball, and go to mfix/legacy_tutorials/Cartesian_grid_tutorials for some examples. Take a look at https://mfix.netl.doe.gov/doc/mfix-archive/mfix_current_documentation/Cartesian_grid_user_guide.pdf to see how to use quadrics or polygon text file. This will probably need to be done outside the GUI, although it is technically possible to set any keyword through the Advanced pane. The model window won’t show the geometry, unless it is very simple (say a single cylinder). See the vortex shedding template (main menu> New project)

Thank you, Jeff.

I find a difference between *.mfx file and mfix.dat file. The latter contains the information of mesh, but the former not. I am not sure if it is possible to revise the mfix.dat file in tutorials cases directly and run it in current version of MFIX. Could please give me some steps to try it? I think it is very useful to implement a 2-D simulation to reduce the computation time.

the *.mfx and *.dat are the same file. We just started using *.mfx for projects created by the GUI because it stores all the #MFIX-GUI data in it, which the GUI uses but the solver does not.