How to cite a tutorial example?

Hey all,

I’d really like to cite the MFIX screw feeder tutorial specifically, but it doesn’t look like this work is published? Is there inspiration for this approach (i.e. another study using DEM particles to approximate a boundary) that I can cite instead? I’m having trouble finding published work that uses this kind of strategy.

Thanks,
Julia

I’m not sure exactly how to cite this example, but here’s a list of publications that cite MFiX, perhaps one of these will provide an example

Hey Charles,

Thanks for the link. I’ve seen the publications list before, but from a quick glance none of these seem to use DEM particles to approximate a boundary :confused: This method doesn’t seem to be very common compared to, say, using a coupled multiphysics approach for a moving boundary (i.e. fluid-structure interaction) or some kind of immersed boundary method, so I’d like to show that there is precedence for this but I can’t find a lot of examples.

Ok, hopefully someone else will chime in with a better answer!

1 Like

I believe @jeff.dietiker helped develop this example, so if you have a recommended citation Jeff, let me know! Otherwise, I will just cite the MFIX theory guide.

You may consider the following:

Breard, E. C. P., Dufek, J., Fullard, L., Tennenbaum, M., Fernandez-Nieves, A., and Dietiker, J.-F. “Investigating the rheology of fluidized and non-fluidized gas-particle beds: implications for the dynamics of geophysical flows and substrate entrainment,” Granular Matter Vol. 24, No. 1, 2022, p. 25.

Yupeng Xu, Jordan Musser, Tingwen Li, Johan T. Padding, William A. Rogers, Particles climbing along a vertically vibrating tube: numerical simulation using the Discrete Element Method (DEM), Powder Technology, Volume 320, October 2017, Pages 304-312, ISSN 0032-5910, Redirecting.

Both use a similar approach to the tutorial where a group of particle’s position and velocity is set to represent a moving geometry.

2 Likes

Perfect, that’s just what I was looking for. Thank you!