How can I build a spouted bed structure?

I plan to build a spouted bed, whose upper part is a rectangle and lower part is a trapezoid. It will be a 3D simulation. But I don’t know how I can bulid a structure like this. Could you please help me? Thank you very much! Best wishes!

Cases with very similar geometries are provided as tutorials. I suggest you review those cases to get a better understanding of setting up models.

See this post:

Thank you very much :grinning:

Thank you very much for your help :grinning:

Sorry to trouble you. I have one question. Why cannot we directly build a structure like this? What is the purpose of this kind of setup in MFiX? In other words, why can we meet the requirement only by this method? I want to figure out the principle behind this. Thank you very much!

What method? There are two spouted bed examples that are provided that use the built in geometry tools

Yeah. The main body of the spouted bed examples is cylindrical. However, when I want to construct a spouted bed whose main body is rectangular, I have to insert the geometry structure by STL file. It cannot be directly built by MFiX. That is to say, when building a gemoetry structure that is not shown in the examples, the similar process will be repeated. I want to know the reason. Why does MFiX have such configuration? Does it have some special meaning? I am confused for a time. Thank you very much.

The only geometry primitives that the GUI provides are the ones that are in VTK. They do not have a trapezoid. However, you could still make the geometry by doing Boolean operations with rectangles.

The GUI provides simple shapes to make simple geometries. For more complex geometries, use a full feature CAD program and export a STL file. Then read that STL file into MFiX.

OK. Got it. Thank you very much for your patience and help. Best wishes!

Using three boxes, I made this rect_spouted_bed.mfx (7.8 KB)

Wow. Perfect. It is really nice of you. Thank you very much.

I insert an STL file into MFiX. However, I do not know how to define the region of each facet and the BCs. Could you please help me?

You need to spend some time reviewing the existing documentation and tutorials.

https://mfix.netl.doe.gov/doc/mfix/19.1.4/

Could you tell me what this symbol ’ *cm ’ in the fx definition means? Thank you very much for your guidance.QQ%E6%88%AA%E5%9B%BE20190618095947

cm is a parameter and here it is defined as one centimeter. Once you define parameters, they can be used in simple mathematical operations (addition, subtraction, multiplication, division). Here 10*cm means 10 centimeters. This is the equivalent of typing 0.10 in that text box, because MFiX uses meters for the length unit.

I get it. Thanks very much.