Dear MFiX user,
We are pleased to announce the MFiX 20.1 release. Please visit the download page to download the latest version. See the release note below that highlights the changes from the previous version.
The MFiX Development Team
- New SMS (Segregated Mesher/Solver) workflow.
- Currently offered as beta testing option (activated from the Settings menu).
- Breaks down the CFD workflow into two distinct steps:
- Mesher mode: The mesh generation is performed before the simulation settings are specified. The mesh is written into a file that will be read at run time by the solver.The mesh must be inspected and accepted before continuing the CFD process.
- Solver mode: Once an appropriate mesh has been generated, the remainder of the simulation models and parameters can be setup, and the MFiX solver can run the simulation.
- Users are encouraged to try the new workflow and provide feedback on the Forum.
- Step-by-Step tutorial: DEM cyclone tutorial (SMS workflow)
- The standard workflow (generate the mesh at run time) is still the default workflow.
- Implementation of the TPKKV drag model (Tang, Peters, Kuipers, Kreibitzsch, & van der Hoef. "A new drag correlation from fully resolved simulations of flow past monodisperse static arrays of spheres", AIChE J., 61(2), pp.688-698 (2015))
- New output variables: Option to save solids density, solids volume fraction, Gas mixture molecular weight and molar fractions.
- Option in Settings menu to reset all user preferences to factory default.
- Alternate installation via Pip.
- Solids thermal conductivity settings have been reorganized. The thermal conductivity model is now explicitly set via a new
Musser(DEM) model have been explicitly exposed in the GUI.
- Improved options to display normals, and more intuitive filter to flip normals.
- Faster loading of VTK files in the 3D viewport.
- Improved support for editing UDF files in the MFiX editor (files are automatically reparsed when saved).
- The Poly-disperse drag models (
WEN_YU_PCF) are disabled for PIC and DEM simulations.
- Updated documentation.
- MFiX-GUI can be run independent of Conda environment if needed.
- Full stack trace printed on solver errors.
- Option to submit bug report in File menu.
Notable bug fixes:
- Fixed BATCH_WALL_TIME reached error.
- NetCDF support has been removed from solver and GUI
From 20.1.0 to 20.1.2
- Allow to run SMS workflow with project having user-defined keywords
- Fixed Absorption_column_2d tutorial (custom solver build)
- Allow to use TPKKV drag model for DEM
- Uncheck "Submit to Queue" by default
- Save ignored facets in an STL file for viewing